Recipe for Savory Steamed Mussels with Tomatoes & White Wine
Try my best recipe for simmering mussels in a tasty sauce...served with fresh, crusty bread and a bottle of Chardonnay wine, it can't be beat!
Mussels are one of my favorites and I tend to order them a lot when I see them on a menu. Part of what makes them so good is the sauce or broth that accompanies them. When they simmer in a tasty sauce and are eaten with a good piece of fresh crusty bread they can't be beat! I experimented with lots of different ingredients for sauces and came up with this one that is super tasty and when dished up with bread they make a great presentation too!
Savory Steamed Mussels with Tomatoes & White Wine
3 lbs. cleaned mussels*
1 cup whole cherry tomatoes
1 teaspoon chili flakes
6 tablespoons butter (I love butter but you can decrease this amount if you'd like)
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon lemon pepper
3/4 teaspoon old bay seasoning
1/4 cup chopped onion
3 cloves finely chopped garlic
1 cup white wine
1 cup chicken broth
Crusty bread for serving
*After purchasing mussels, keep them cold until ready to use. Soak mussels in cold water for 15 minutes before cleaning so they will expel any sand or grit inside the shells. Discard any cracked or open mussels. Most mussels will have a "beard" and it's best to remove it. Hold the mussel with one hand and pull the beard out and away with the other hand. Use a firm brush to remove beard and then rinse again before cooking.
1. Scrub and remove beards from mussels. Discard any open or cracked mussels (see above for cleaning instructions)
2. Melt butter in a large pot. Add onion and garlic to pot and stir till softened.
3. Add cherry tomatoes and continue to stir until tomatoes are softened.
4. Add chili flakes, salt, lemon pepper and old bay seasoning, stir.
5. Add wine (I used yummy Chardonnay from my family's winery, San Sebastian Winery. For the fun story about our family winery click here for my previous post.
6. Add chicken broth and simmer for 4-5 minutes
7. Stir to mix, and add the mussels all at once. Stir to coat mussels with broth; cover pot and steam for 6-10 minutes or until mussels are open. Discard any unopened mussels.
For serving, add mussels to bowls and pour broth over mussels to coat. Serve with crusty bread and a bottle of nice Chardonnay and you'll feel like you're in a fine French restaurant! Enjoy!